blogging has been adding improvements over time through its gadgets, which are extra applications that give it more features. In this case, how to blog it becomes something very simple and that is activated automatically when a visitor enters our blog.
What is a Blogroll?
It is a list of links, as if it were a directory, of blogs that interest you and that you offer your visitors to visit once they reach yours. Over time these have ceased to be so static and today we can find BlogRolls dynamic that fit our needs.
What are blog lists for?
- Blog lists serve, among other things, to generate traffic among the blogs you follow and to do some SEO and allow Google to consider that our Blog is much more important if one that has a lot of authority puts yours on its list, for example.
- In this example you can see a list with several websites, and if we go to the Blogger panel, on the left, we can see the ones we have added and modify them.
- Therefore, it is a very traditional way of doing SEO and getting the famous backlinks without the need to SPAM, since they would be readers who would be interested in content similar to what you are offering on your website.
How to make a blog list
- Go into your Blogger dashboard and look on the left hand side where it says «reading list«.
- Click on «Add to reading list» either go to this direct link to add or remove the blogs you are following.
- Simply click on «Add» and enter the url and title of the blog so that it appears in the list of your website.
- It will give you the option to follow the blog publicly or anonymously, in case you don’t want the author to know that you follow him.
- In any case you can always delete said blog clicking on the trash can and also change the status (from anonymous to public) if you click on the link that you will see highlighted in blue.
How to create a blogroll in WordPress
It is not very different from Blogger and it is done in a simple way:
- Login to WordPress and go to WP Admin (at the bottom).
- Click links > all links > add new.
- Write the name and add the url of the blog you want to link to.
- When you finish, click on add link and it will let you write another link, proceed as in the previous steps.
- When you are done you will have to go to appearance>widgets if you want to move the blogroll widget to another place.
How to optimize blogrolls
Now that you have your list of blogs ready, it is worth following these tips to get the most out of it:
- check the urls. Sometimes blogs can change domains, or just become inactive, and you don’t want a dead blog as it’s not going to attract traffic.
- Do not put all the links in a single web. The “wheel” strategy in SEO is well known, linking blogs of the same owner and getting authority links, but if you spam your blogroll with links to the same website, Google could penalize you.
- Try to make the links to your blog/website appear on the main page. This way, many more people will see it.
- Whatever you do, try to make it natural. For example, if your blog is about health, choose blogs on related topics.