gmail is one of the most powerful mail services on the Internet, it competes with other services such as Outlook or Yahoo for being the best email service provider, providing many facilities both to use it and to modify our data or change the email associated with our Google account.
How to remove an email address from Gmail
If you are considering, you can keep your Google account even if is linked to a Gmail.com account, being able to add another email and thus have all the services such as YouTube, Google Maps, Google Drive, Google Calendar and others without losing functionality.
- Enter in https://myaccount.google.com/deleteservices or from your account follow this route My account > Data and personalization > Remove a service or account > Remove a Google service.
- Sign in with your google password to confirm your identity when deleting your account.
- Press the trash can iconappears at the bottom right.
- Enter the new email not from Gmail to continue using the other Google products without problems.
- Check your email inboxyou will receive a message entitled “Gmail delete confirmation“. Click on the blue link.
- Confirm in the box “Yes, I want to permanently delete [email protected] from my Google account” and then click on “Delete Gmail“.
- A confirmation will come via email of the deletion of your account successfully and you can finish the process by pressing «Done».
From this moment you will no longer need a Gmail account and you will be able to log in with your new email, leaving the previous one in offline mode, and it can be reactivated if you enter from mail.google.com and follow the steps indicated.
How to save emails before deleting your account
For those who have many passwords, documents or simply information that they do not want to lose, with a few simple steps they can save and download all that data in one file .mboxso that you can import it to another email like Outlook and recover everything you have received.
- go to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout to proceed with the download of said files before deleting your account.
- Select Gmail in the list that appears, or other apps if you’re interested in keeping their data.
- Click on the box on the right and press «Next step” at the end of the page.
- You can choose what format you are interested in downloading the files with your data.
- Export Type: In a single file or if you want you can download them several times, programming it.
- Type of file: Either in .zip or .tgz, depending on the compression method you prefer (to speed up the download of large files).
- file size: To have everything more organized, if it is something very large, you can choose to divide it into several “chunks” or small files.
- Click on «create file«
- Wait for the “Archive Progress” bar to complete that will appear next.
- When everything is ready, Google will send an email with the link to download the file with your data, you will have 7 days to do so.
Keep in mind that with this you will not have deleted your Gmail, you will only have your information in a safe place.
Remove or unlink Gmail from a smartphone
This case is the easiest of all, since it is less laborious to unlink a Gmail account. To successfully unlink your @gmail.com email (either on iOS or Android), follow these steps:
- Unlink a Google account on iOS: You must follow this path Settings> Passwords and accounts> Gmail/Google> Delete account.
- Unlink a Google account on Android: In Settings> Cloud and accounts> Accounts> Google> Delete account.
At the end, when a new message arrives in your inbox, your mobile will not send any notification as it is not synchronized with the Gmail servers. The unlinking will have finished successfully.
Why delete a Gmail account?
It depends on each person and each one can have their own reasons, from wanting to protect their privacy because that email has been compromised or simply because they have tired of Google services. What has been your reason? Leave us a comment to know why you have deleted your email from Gmail and if the process was easy.