Instagram It is one of the most successful social networks in the world, facing Facebook (who bought it in 2012) and Twitter, since it has more than 1,000 million active users. If despite its popularity, you decide that you have had enough of this social network, you should know that Instagram allows only one temporary deactivation of your account if you look in the options, but what if you want to permanently delete your Instagram account? We have discovered a hidden option that will allow you to undo all traces of your account, but you should know that after following these steps there will be no going back and obviously you will lose everything published.
That being the case, it is essential that you are aware of whether you want to temporarily deactivate your account or permanently delete it, which is why we will separate the instructions in this article for those 2 scenarios. Of course, you should know that it is to deactivate or delete your account, you must do it from the PC.
Temporarily deactivate your Instagram account
If you just want to take a break from Instagram, it’s best to just temporarily deactivate your account, so you have the option to reactivate it later. So, follow these steps:
- go to https://www.instagram.com.
- Login to access your profile.
- Once inside your profile, in the overview click on edit profile, a button at the top, or go to https://www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent.
- Your data will appear on the screen, and if you look at the bottom of the page, there is a link that says «Temporarily disable my account«. press it.
- A dropdown menu will open, choose the reason why you want to deactivate your account. Check the corresponding box.
- Enter your password and press «Temporarily disable the account«.
- If you have forgotten your password, remember what we explained about how to change your instagram password.
- Perfect! account disabled.
Delete Instagram account permanently
If you have already decided to never want to know about Instagram again and bury everything you have published there, we understand, many people get saturated with so many services and social networks. Here are the steps to permanently delete instagram and all your profile data (photos, videos, followers, comments, etc):
- go to https://www.instagram.com.
- Log in in your account with Facebook or through your access data.
- Once inside your account, go to https://www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanentis the specific page to deactivate or permanently delete Instagram accounts.
- You will see a question “Why do you want to delete your account?”, choose the reason why you want to delete your account.
- Enter your password to actually verify that you want to delete the account.
- Press the red button «Permanently delete my account«.
- Clever! the account will be permanently deleted, remember to use this option with great caution.
Instagram does not allow data recovery if you decide to delete the account using that method, so from Accounts & Sessions We recommend that you think about it a lot, since this action cannot be reversed and you will never be able to recover your Instagram account.
Reasons to delete an Instagram account
Although Instagram is a network that allows its users to connect and follow the people they want, including celebrities, it could be that its permanent use is causing problems for you, so we will list the main reasons why users believe it is better give yourself some time with Instagram:
- Distraction: The continuous use of this social network, as in the case of Facebook, can generate addiction and that can take its toll, especially if it is the case of a student or a person who works a lot, as it could distract him from his work daily.
- Bad experience with content: If someone had a bad experience with a post, you can delete it in a timely manner, but many prefer to cut to the chase and delete their account completely.
- privacy issues: Opening an account on Instagram is, in a sense, a way of exposing your life to others. If this has gone wrong for some reason, that’s a reason to want to close an account.
- lack of contacts: More than one user thought that they would have many contacts or find many friends on Instagram, and if this has not happened, they could find that it does not make much sense to have this social network active.
- Duality of accounts: For some reason, there are users who decide to create an alternative account and after a while, they decide that it is better to close some of those accounts because it is no longer useful to them.